Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Shotgun!

Another coffee comic. On a weekday basis I generally go with the free coffee at work, but occasionally I'll stop on the way in at Caribou for a Depth Charge or at Starbucks for a Red Eye. At home I treated myself to a Keurig, because generally when I was making a pot of coffee I'd have a cup or two leftover and felt like I was wasting the coffee I was making. I'm thinking about picking up a french press though. I used to have one and it make really good coffee but it broke and I replaced it with a free Mr. Coffee hand me sideways from a cousin.

Coffee wise, with the Keurig, I'm pretty impressed with the Green Mountain Co.'s Dark Magic, and Caribou's Obsidian. The Starbucks K-cups are good too, they're just a little bit cheaper since there are 2 less per box in comparison to the Green Mountain or Caribou.

When I grind my own though, I love Intelligensia! Their El Diablo is probably my favorite. I've heard that they recommend the Chemex style coffee maker and it does seem pretty cool, almost ceremonial in how you make it. I'm thinking though for myself, the french press has a similar "ceremony" but I won't have to invest in filters all the time. I will end up having to get a better grinder though as my electric one has a tendency to make the grain too small and it makes it's way through the mesh so I end up with a bit of mud in the last cup or two.

5 comments:

  1. I've been really liking the Coffee People Donut Shop coffee in my Keurig- it pretty much nails the diner-style coffee on the head, since I don't tend to drink super dark roasts. That, and the Caribou or Green Mountain light roasts, since they're more caffeinated. I need to get an order together for Black Blood of the Earth though, I have heard magical things about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Black Blood of the Earth? Where do you get that from? (of course I ask this and will be googling it as soon as I hit enter) It's going on my list regardless. Big Trouble in little coffee mug! :-)

      Delete
    2. http://shop.funraniumlabs.com/ Looks good!

      Delete
    3. http://www.funraniumlabs.com/the-black-blood-of-the-earth/
      Here's the whole story. Apparently it's basically coffee distilled down into something dark and terrible, and potentially super awesome. I'll let you know if I end up making an order, I know a few folks who want some. Remind me, and I can bring by some of the Donut Shop coffee next time I'm at your place.

      Delete
    4. Must be like the concentrate they use in coffee vending machines but using higher end beans... hopefully.

      Delete