Wednesday, August 29, 2012

OOooo Scary

click to enlarge
The title should be read in the voice of Count Floyd (Joe Flaherty) from SCTV. I really like the old EC comics. Recently Eerie and Creepy have begun to start up with new stories. So much fun to read.  I've been working on this gag for about a week so until I get my chops up to speed this style will probably be a rarity. Unless I come up with a bunch more gags and then I'll have to burn a little midnight oil.

I think some of my love of this style of comic derives from watching the Son of Svengoolie portrayed by Rich Koz. When he debuted in 1979 it was so much fun to watch the movies that I loved, b-movie monster fare, with a host that used (and still uses) humor to show how much he loves them too. In Berwyn, IL there's a horror shop called Horrorbles that carries a lot of his merchandise in addition to a TON of horror memorabilia. They have a series of shirts that feature the art of Basil Gogos who is famous for his "Famous Monster" magazine covers.  His use of color for what were black and white movies is pretty amazing. Great stuff and well worth checking out.

I just started posting my site to Reddit in addition to my facebook, Google +, and twitter feed. Thanks for stopping by. I hope everyone gets a kick out of my sense of humor. It's been a lot of fun so far sharing the things I used to just keep in my sketch books.

No comments:

Post a Comment