Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Morlock Life


Morlocks, the socially awkward gamers. We've all been there at one time or another. You've mostly kept to yourself or a select group of friends talking about slaying beasts in a dungeon and relishing the clutch critical rolls. Then you attend a convention and what you thought was a small group of people turns out to be 40,000 people all playing the same games or similar and in your excitement you begin to share things... My half-demon-angel-barbarian-fighter! My Elfin Archer with the Bow of Beast Slaying! Do you remember that time I rolled that crit when half the party was unconscious or dying? Most of us are lucky enough to realize at a young age that those stories are best told with the group of people that were involved with the story in the first place.

Unfortunately, sometimes the Morlock reverts to it's true nature, consumes the flesh of some lowly eloi and destroys a conversation. Those of us that remember being that awkward youth tend to smile and nod, hoping for a quick end to the story we've heard and told ourselves hundreds of times. That's when you need a quick conversation turner. Have you seen the new game from (insert publisher name here)? Where'd you get that backpack? Would you be interested in buying some insurance? Or the ever popular, "Oh man (looks at non-existent watch), gotta run or I'll miss my game." Sometimes that tactic backfires and you have to do the quick, "Um, don't follow me I've gotta go burn a mule"

The image on the "cover" is a bit of a self-portrait. I still need to pick up a fez from Fez-o-rama. I've got my heart set on a few, the Flying Monkey and Sons of the Desert being my favorites. It's where Wil Wheaton and the Dungeon Bastard picked up their d20 fezzes from.

No comments:

Post a Comment