Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Hotel Rooms



One thing about big cons, including GenCon is the cost of hotel rooms. It seems like the cost has sky rocketed over the last few years. When I first started going to GenCon and being a low wage college student it was the norm to pile 6 to 8 people into a room to keep the costs down. Then working a full-time job and making a decent wage it seemed easy to take on 5 days at a hotel myself, now it seems like it's gotten to the point almost where there has to be 4-6 people in a room again. Actually this year I ended up cancelling my yearly trip when I realized it was going to be too tight.

So, no GenCon for me this year. Bummer, since I'll be missing friends that I haven't seen in a year at least. What this means to me though is that I need to channel my energy into generating some extra income so that next year I can pay the mortgage and afford a little R&R with friends. I'm trying to adapt some of the things I learned from reading the book, "The $100 Startup: Reinvent the Way you Make a Living, Do What you Love, and Create a New Future" by Chris Guillebeau Chris has a great blog that mostly deals with travel hacking but also has some wonderful insight into starting a company on a small budget and blogging. Definitely check out his post titled, "279 days to Overnight Success"

No comments:

Post a Comment