Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Martini Time


I'm closer to the Winston Churchill camp of martin making, which is that for vermouth, he would just show the bottle to the glass and that would be enough. My Uncle Will taught me to pour a little vermouth in the glass, swirl it around the glass, then dump it out. Anything that stuck to the glass seems to be enough for a good gin martini. Good olives are essential as well, that little bit of salty brine is a nice blend with all of the flavors going on in the gin. 

Gin, I'm partial to Bombay Sapphire, but to be fair I haven't run the gamut on my gin tastings. I just discovered diet tonic so my G&T quotient might increase. I think that there are some domestic even local gins that might be worth trying. North Shore Distillery makes a few that I'm going to have to try. I have tried their Aquavit which is pretty interesting and worth trying. 

So many new local distilleries are springing up it's worth giving them a try. With the microbrew industry doing such wonders for beer taste and quality it's only a matter of time before the US spirit market starts to improve as well. 

Enjoy your drinking safely and responsibly. Remember, if the cab ride costs $7000 it's actually worth it. 

6 comments:

  1. Ever try Hendricks gin? Has cucumber - very very nice. www.hendricksgin.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I'll have to give it a try. Thanks for the tip Amy!

      Delete
    2. The website is kind of neat too. :-)

      Delete
  2. Hendricks is delicious. Death's Door is from Wisconsin, it's a different taste because it only has 3 botanicals instead of 6.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, I'll see if I can get some Death's Door too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made a post that vanished into the ether...

    Dover Strait is my cheap gin of choice. Very inexpensive and highly drinkable in a G&T.

    +1 on Hendrick's though, good stuff. Also, Plymouth is darn good.

    S

    ReplyDelete